Date: Wednesday, January 4th, 2017
Duration: Wednesday 4th – Friday 6th January 2017
Venue: SAUL, University of Limerick
This programme – a collaboration between Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board (LCETB) and Screen Training Ireland, with the support of University of Limerick School of Architecture (SAUL) and Troy Studios – is aimed at focusing the skills of architects and draftspeople to the specific requirements of drafting for film and television.
All coursework is done in pencil. This course will focus on drawing a studio set.
The course will cover the following:
- Review of basics of surveying, use of surveying equipment and information that needs to be acquired on survey, sketching of plans and elevations for purposes of recording data. Use of photography to record detail.
- Introduction to the interior/exterior space to be surveyed with a view to the areas of greatest interest.
- Review of participants’ survey notes.
- Quick review of principles of scale and dimensioning prior to drawing up of the surveys.
- Time to finish survey drawings if required.
- Introduce main exercise of drawing up of a new set to either complement an exterior space or fit in an interior space.
- Setting up new drawing, choosing a scale and starting plans/elevations of new set.
- Short slideshow at end of day using an example of a set from Game of Thrones to demonstrate how the design process works from preliminary concepts, choosing a location, creating construction drawings and building the final set.
- Carry on with drawing up of set.
- Introduction to doors and windows and other important details.
- Discussion of line weight, using texture to indicate set finishes.
- Dimensioning and annotating drawings.
- Introduction to use/need for backing flats, painted backing/translates. Introduction to camera angles, lens tables.
- Review of drawings, Q&A based on participants’ questions.
- Short presentation to finish up.
*Fee: €150 waged/€75 unwaged
This programme is aimed at those with architectural or built environment background or knowledge who wish to apply their drafting/surveying skills to a film and television setting.
Please apply online at www.screentrainingireland.ie For further details contact Sorcha Loughnane at email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Friday 9th December 2016.