This programme, part of the Red Rock Training Initiative, is designed to help managers/HODs improve and embed on the job learning solutions. The course will be to blend formal and informal learning methods and will include guidance on mentoring team members to reduce skills gaps. Participants will use the set-based training facilities to provide informal learning to their trainees. This will help them to develop their expertise in creating shadowing and work-based learning opportunities. They will also explore how technology can be used to create memory aids for the trainees. The course will be delivered as a facilitated workshop with the goal of co-creating a series of training resources to be used in future training situations. The course will be delivered over two consecutive Saturdays to enable participants to put techniques learned on Day One into practice during a working week, and identify their effectiveness on Day 2.
• You as a role model
• How your expertise may be an obstacle
• How adults learn
• Why training fails
• Mentoring techniques
• Training versus mentoring
• Formal versus informal learning
• Training methodologies
• Creating resources to support learning transfer
• Importance of realistic practice
• Identifying skills gaps
• Becoming a better trainer and mentor
• Hands –on Training Techniques
• Instructional Design process
• Creating effective training sessions
• Using technology to aid retention
• Assessing performance
• Giving and receiving feedback
Please note this course is not certified, but a fully certified Train the Trainer programme will be scheduled in early 2016.
This workshop is aimed at HODs, managers, and mid-level department personnel and staff across film, TV, animation or VFX who may be responsible for mentoring trainees, assistants or other personnel working under them.